In 1615 it was decided that
a church should be built on the site of the present church at Cruxhill,
A Latin deed of 1615
To all the faithful in
Christ to whom this present writing is made known.
Robinson of Deanhead in the manor of Quarmby, and James Robinson his son.
Know ye that we the aforsaid, will the intention that a chapel or suitable
house of prayer may
be erected within the limits of Deanhead,
Scammonden and other adjacent places in which
chapel prayers and preaching and Divine Service may be solemnised to God according to the
rites of the Church of England. Have given granted and by
this present writing confirmed to:
Edward Firth of Marsden
John Firth of Firth House
of Broad Lea
Thomas Denton Jnr
William Denton of Scammonden
The first chapel was
probably a timber structure of wood and plaster. The only
relics remaining are two stones, which were later
incorporated into the porch of
today's church, which is the third on this site. They were
probably headstones over doorways and they read:
EDMUND ROBINSON CAUSE THIS
CHAPEL TO BE MADE AND GAVE TOWARDS A PREACHING MINISTER THERE and
TEN POUNDS YERELY FOREVER
GOD BE PRAYSED ANO DOMINI
Below the stones you can see
I and B and below the bottom stone 1615 T.D. lt was
dedicated to St Bartholomew.
The first curate of Dean
Head chapel was a local man Jacobi Broadhead
(Broadbent)... This being recently found in a
sermon book of the chapel amo.
1615/16.....Including some other part time clergy man....
The second was Rev. Ralp Walkde (Walker or Walkden). Hearrived in1637 when
his son Roger was born.
He was followed by Rev.
Richard Heyhurst whose wife died on August 22nd 1641.
On March 3rd 1662 Rev. Wm. Ingham was
appointed on the same day that he married Susan Hey. On
December 21st he was ordained Deacon. The next Deacon,
Rev, Richard Robinson was
ordained by the Bishop of Exeter in 1667.
deacon, Rev. John Smith who was formerly a lecturer at Bolton Parish
Church. He came over the moors into Yorkshire,
where he noticed the little chapel at Scammonden
and discovered the living vacant.
Rev. Abraham Woodhead of Netherthong was the
next to hold the living but only for three years. He resigned in 1701.
Rev. William Sunderland
succeeded him on December 2nd 1701 to be followed by Rev. John Sutcliffe on
September 24th 1720. Rev.
Edward Moorehouse, SA., was
ordained Deacon on April 4th 1722 but it was six years later
on July 12th 1728 before he was licensed to preach. He
died on September 23rd 1746. That same year
Rev. Thomas Falcon was
presented to the ministry by Vicar Danby and remained there for 45 years.
He married Elizabeth,
daughter of John Baron of Firth House and lived at White Lee.
In 1748 six weddings were
solemnized by licence but on October 22nd 1752 an
insert in the register states that:
the marriage act continues in force, in all probability there will never be any
more weddings celebrated
in the chapel at Deanhead, so
I will bid farewell to them."
In 1792, Rev. John Ramsden LLB was appointed an assistant curate at Dean Head.
Rev. Wiliiam Horton, at a
stipend of £30 per year. Shortly afterwards he appointed
another assistant, Rev Thomas Falcon BA of
College, at a salary of £35 per year. He was the son of the former Rev Thomas Falcon.
Ramsden resigned in 1807, his assistant Rev. Falcon
looked forward to filling the post.
But to his great
disappointment Rev Ralph Younger was appointed. Mr
Younger had for several years been
a teacher at Goat House, Rishworth.
Shortly after his arrival, the church fabric began to show strain of nearly
200 years of Pennine weather and the church was condemned. Mr Younger called his parishioners together
and put a proposition to them. His suggestion was to
pull down the church and build a completely new one.
He got the people to make
promises in writing that they would do the manual work themselves according to
their skill and ability.
The new church was opened at
the end of 1812.
Rev. Younger had a
succession of assistant curates:
1837 Rev. Joseph Wood 1840 Rev. Samuel Sykes
1844 Rev. l.Coward 1848 Rev.
1849 Rev. A.J.M. Causland 1851 Rev. Thomas Beaston
1852 Rev. E.C.P.Sauley MA 1856 Rev. E.G. Charlesworth
On November 27th 1856 Rev.
Younger was buried in the churchyard.
Next was..Rev, Stephen Pering Lampen, PhD, had been curate at Siaithwaite
from 1851 to 1856 when he was offered the
living at St Bartholomew's Church, Scammonden.
In 1866, Rev. Lampen left Scammonden. He was
succeeded by Rev. Henry Collins MA He had been educated at St John's College,
Cambridge and was the 24th wrangler of his year. Before coming
to Deanhead he was curate at Calverley
with Bolton from 1861-65.
On September 14th 1904, a
church council was set up It comprised:
Ammon Sykes of Hudson
of Haugh Top
Fred Sykes of Spring Grove
Henry Berry of Hill Top
William Baker of Great Field
of Turner House
of Goat Hill
Wright Gledhill of Banquet House.
Rev, Collins remained at St
Bartholomew's for 48 years. He was born in 1865 and stayed at Deanhead until 1913.
He died on August 4th 1921
at Ottery St Mary in Devon.
The war years of 1914 to
1918 were not documented..........................
In 1934 Rev. J.C.Harding came to Dean Head.
In the 1960's the M62
arrived. Much of the old Scammonden went with the
reservoir and the motorway... But Dean Head chapel
survived... and still remain to this day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!